Sunday, July 18, 2010

My Favorite Personal Bible Studies

(Almost) Every morning, I have a "quiet time" with my Bible while I drink my coffee.  Growing up in church, I knew that this was something I "should" do.  Now it is something I want to do.  I began practicing this discipline about three years ago, and it has changed my life. 
But, the Bible can be daunting. 
Where do I start reading? 
What am I supposed to do?
What does it mean?
I found resources that have really helped me focus during my Bible time, and I have learned so much!
All of the studies below are suggestions based on my personal experience.



An awesome study for getting familiar with who the Bible says God is...
so basically, who God says He is.



An amazing resource for teaching you to look at each verse different ways, to help increase your understanding.



Hands down, the most life-changing time I have ever spent with God's Word was when I was doing this study.  I plan to do it again.  I think He can make it new :)



A quick daily lesson, but very reflective and challenging.  It made me take a hard look at some things in my life that were just too important.



I am currently finishing this one.  It is just so amazing.  I highly recommend it!

Can you tell that I love Kay Arthur Bible studies?  They are well-written, Biblically sound, and teach you Bible study skills that you will use for the rest of your life.

The time I have spent in private Bible study have been more formative to my faith than any church service I have attended.  Church is an important part of my life, but my church life is fueled by my personal relationship with Jesus Christ.  I have found that what I know about Jesus, what I believe to be true, and what that means in my life are made very clear to me in personal Bible study time. 
I find structured Bible studies to be helpful, but you could just pick up a Bible, ask God for guidance, and go with it.
He has a way with His Word.

All images are courtesy of Amazon.com and all resources are available there.

No comments:

Post a Comment