Saturday, June 5, 2010

Lentil Burgers

Yesterday I did not cook anything for an entire day.  Somehow I still had tons of dishes, hmmm. 
This morning I just needed to cook something.
And I really needed to clean out the fridge. 
"Necessity is the mother of invention."

Homemade Lentil Burgers
Serves 6


2 1/2 c. cooked brown lentils
3 tbs. tomato paste
McCormick Steak Seasoning, to taste (I used about 1 tbs.)
chopped green chilies (I used about 2 tbs. of the canned variety, but do this to taste)
2 eggs
1 c. bread crumbs
1/2 c. quick oats

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Spray a non-stick baking sheet with cooking spray.  In a food processor, place lentils, tomato paste, seasoning, and eggs.  Pulse until it is blended.  Pour it into a medium bowl and add the chilies, bread crumbs, and oats. 


Let stand at room temperature for about five minutes.  Shape into patties. Heat 1-2 tbs. olive oil over medium-high heat in a non-stick skillet. Cook the burgers in the skillet about three to four minutes per side.


Place on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes in the preheated oven.



Feast. 



I really like these!  Next time I will add some finely chopped onion and garlic, to make it a little more interesting.  I loved that they were not soggy in the middle.

So, the burning question:
Do they taste like meat?
The answer:
Of course NOT.

But they are tasty and healthy.  And I don't like things that aren't meat that taste like meat. 
Because that is just weird. 

No comments:

Post a Comment